|How to Avoid Infographic Pitfalls|
Infographics are a great way to get links to your site and drive up traffic – but only when they’re done the right way.
Infograhics were all the rage last year. Although they’re losing a bit of steam, they can still be a great way to get traffic to your site. One of the biggest problems is making yours stand out in the crowd. Here are a few tips on how to add an infographic to your digital marketing strategy without losing sight of the important elements.
What Are They?
Infographics are a combination of stats and information shown through pictures and graphs. There are words, but the main focus is that the topic is interesting and the infographic is very visually appealing. Infographics are a great example of SEO link bait and, if done correctly and is properly advertised, can bring in a fair amount of traffic to a site once others start sharing the content.
One of the main problems with infographics right now is that there are so many of them. The bar has definitely been raised, and readers are more apt to compare and critique. They’re great for Search Engine Optimization (SEO), but can be a bad move for your reputation if done poorly. Remember: Content is still king.
The Right Way
Here are a few tips to keep you on the path to infographic success:
- Start with a topic that could be enhanced by visuals.
- Choose a topic people will find interesting – looks for stats that are obscure or trending.
- Make sure the graphics are done well. That includes professionally designed and contain no spelling or grammar errors.
- Always supplement with social media and bookmarking, plus send to infographic-specific sites. Your effort doesn’t mean anything if no one knows the content exists.
- Don’t forget to cite where the information came from. Give credit where credit is due.
- Mashable has plenty of examples of great infographics to give you a sense of what they should look like.
With every “do” there are some “don’t’s”. Keep these tips “top-of-mind” when implementing your infographic strategy:
- Don’t use everyday stats or use information that is really mainstream. Get creative!
- Using too few stats could be deemed a waste of time. Make sure it’s full of information.
- Don’t make an infographic just for the sake of making an infographic. Not all information will translate well into this very visual medium, so it’s best to have the idea first – then see if an infographic would work well.
- An infographic is no longer in itself a good reason to share it. It must be interesting and engaging or, just like other social media ideas, it will get lost in the shuffle.
An infographic is just one element of an entire digital marketing strategy. Discover how you can make your mark online by contacting a WSI Internet Consultant.
Category: Search, Social
Tags: Digital Marketing, infographic, Search Engine Optimization, seo, Social Media, WSI franchise, WSI Internet Consultant,
Written by: Maribel Guiste